Tuesday, January 6, 2015

SKINCARE SHAKE UP . AVEENO . FRESH ESSENTIALS

Friends has arrived to Netflix and I've found myself in love with Jennifer Aniston all over again – she and I have something in common this week, Aveeno. For the past seven days I've traded my high-end skincare regime in, with the exception of my Purity Cleanser by Philosophy, for three products from the Aveeno Fresh Essentials line – the Daily Nourishing Moisturizer ($11), Daily Exfoliating Scrub ($6) and the Hydrating Night Cream ($11). I was initially a tad nervous to trade in my skincare favourites for a drugstore line for an entire week, but the promise of natural ingredients and high standards gave me hope – and I'm glad I stuck it out because I've been pleasantly surprised by the results. The Fresh Essentials line contains an extract of the southernwood plant, which contains a 'natural combination of sugars and polyphenols that provide antioxidant activity to help restore the skin’s moisture barrier for fresher and healthier-looking skin'.

For the past week I've continued cleansing my skin with my Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser, adding the Aveeno Fresh Essentials Daily Exfoliating Scrub to my evening routine to help brighten and even my complexion. Since I've been sick I've had a lot of flakes around my nose due to excess blowing, the Exfoliating Scrub gently buffed these bits away leaving my face soft and even, without irritating my nose further. I've never previously thought to incorporate a daily exfoliating scrub into my regime, but now it's something I've grown accustom to so it's staying! During the day I've been applying the Aveeno Fresh Essentials Daily Nourishing Moisturizer to my cleansed skin, which contains SPF 30. I absolutely love the weight of this moisturizer for day use – it's thick, yet sinks into the skin quickly and is loaded with beneficial ingredients like vitamin A, C & E. However, even though I appreciate that it contains SPF 30 I don't find myself outdoors enough this time of the year, and I've noticed a sticky film that develops once the lotion dries, which I can only attribute to the SPF. Therefore, I wasn't as thrilled with this product and probably won't be reaching for it until the summer sun comes back. The opposite can be said about the Aveeno Fresh Essenitals Hydrating Night Cream – it's a winter essential. I featured it in my blog post yesterday as well, seen here, because I've been seriously addicted to applying it to my face while battling this flu. As I mentioned in the previous post this moisturizer stings slightly when applied, even on non-dry patches, but that sensation settles quickly leaving your skin to reap the benefits. It's one of the thickest creams I've ever owned, richly hydrating – and my skin CRAVES it before bed now. When I wake up I look bright-eyed, glowy and my skin feels heavenly moisturized, free of any rough patches. And the best part is that a little goes a long way – so if I'm careful with how often I apply it I may have this little pot last me all the way to spring.

Have you tried the Fresh Essentials range? What were your thoughts?



AM¥     XO

*The items in this post have been sent to THE PRETT¥ VAIN for purpose of review. All views expressed reflect my own opinion on the product. For additional information please see the Disclaimer. 

6 comments:

  1. Omg I love the picture.

    http://www.fuckhighclass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The terrarium is everything! Thankful for my roomie's bf for getting her it!

      Delete
  2. I love Aveeno and their facial lotion! And I keep hearing about Friends being on Netflix!! Darn.. I only have Hulu Plus.. I love Friends! It's my all-time favorite show. :)


    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need Netflix! Such a blessing hahaha

      Delete
  3. I love Aveeno products but wasn't into this line. I don't find the scrub abrasive enough for me, didn't do all to much to my skin. The moisture ( day ) was to light for me... One thing is I do like the night cream it was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loveee the night cream, but totally see where you are coming from with the scrub. But I do love that it is gentle enough for daily use.

      And the day cream is just not for me. I found it moderately thick, but left a strange film and the SPF was over powering when I spend most of my time indoors during the winter. :( Such a shame.

      Delete