Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...

For the past few weeks I've had Heems' latest album Eat, Pray, Thug on repeat – an album he has described as 'post-911 dystopian brown man rap'. The theme and horror of 911 is heavy in the album with songs such as 'Patriotic Act', 'Al Q8a' and 'Flag-Shopping' depicting what life was like for a Sikh, Muslim, Hindu and basically any brown person post-911. The line "And we yelled 'I'm just like you' as quietly and calmly as we could / So as not to raise too much attention and be labelled as a trouble maker" reminds one of the racial and religious struggles of that time. Heems also paints a picture of going flag shopping to show patriotism and to be displayed as a symbol showing his fellow Americans: 'I am not Osama'. In commemoration of Heems' struggle, and to celebrate the brilliant complex nature of this album I present you with the American Flag accent nail. 

To recreate this design simply paint all nails with two thin coats of a red polish. Once this base has dried create a small rectangular box in the left corner of your ring finger with blue polish, allow this section to dry completely. To complete the flag you'll need a striping tool, dotting tool and a white polish. Create thin vertical striples along the ring finger with the stripping tool, the switch to the dotting tool to create dots within the blue rectangle to mimic stars. Finally seal in the design with a fast-drying topcoat such as the Seche Vite Fast-Drying Top Coat

Would you wear patriotic nail art?


AM¥     XO

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I adore this. What a unique source of beauty inspiration. I love what you've written about the album, too. Seriously amazing.

    Clementine | My Darling Clementine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was concerned about how this post would be perceived but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. So cute, I'm definitely going to don this kind of nail art when I next visit the US!
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete